Thursday, April 26, 2007

Exciting New Changes to eBay's Feedback System?

eBay, Are you freakin' serious? For those that don't know please let me inform you that during the week of April 30, 2007, eBay intends to revamp the feedback system to not only include positive, negative, neutrals, and specific comments but also a scale rating system based on a scale of 1 to 5 for seller for communication, item as described, shipping time, and postage/packaging. Well this system is one-sided since only the buyer can leave these types of ratings for the seller. The seller is stuck in the original feedback system. How can this highly subjective rating system be good for an eBay seller? It can't, period.

There are aspects of the rating system that sellers have no control over such as shipping time. I ship my items the same day as payment is received if the post office is open and the next day at the latest. During the Christmas season the postal service is basically overwhelmed with mail and there are delays (I know, I'm a former postal employee) that are beyond the control of the seller, and now sellers will have a newbie with zero feedback and nothing to lose rating them on aspects of a sale that are beyond the control and influence of the seller.

Doesn't seem fair. Doesn't seem right. I am very disappointed in eBay's obsession with fixing what is not broken. The Sell Your Item form was "fixed" and now it's very glitchy and unbearable to use, now they have turned their eyes to the feedback system to 'fix' so that buyers can leave a positive feedback and give all poor ratings for communication, item description, shipping time, and packaging. This is basically a way to allow buyers to give covert negative feedback since sellers will not be able to tell which buyer in particular left such ratings as they can with the normal feedback system. eBay has invented a way for buyers to leave a Blind Negative for sellers and sellers have no recourse to rebut these ratings.

I think this move may be the start of the ending of eBay's empire. I hope eBay will reconsider once the backlash of sellers rolls in. Sellers that have paid the salaries of eBay employees for years and have always adapted to eBay's ever changing policies, formats, and fee structures that have only made selling on eBay less lucrative and more frustrating. Give sellers a break this time or allow sellers to rate buyers in the same way. And eBay, I accept your apologies in advance.

No comments: